Embracing Challenge

A light-skinned person stands in a room with a box over their head.

By Yamila García

Before coming to the United States, I had never moved in my life. The impact of such a change on me was immense. Moving to another hemisphere, with a different language and such a distinct culture, was a shock. I know that for many, it would be the same, but I also realize that my way of perceiving the world made it even more intense than it might be for others. Not only logical aspects, like adapting to the new language or customs, affected me, but everything sensory. The scents of different seasons (especially fall), the smells of greenery, the flavors of unfamiliar food, and attempting to comprehend the background voices unsuccessfully tormented me daily for a long time, leading to many hours-long headaches.

Many times, I simply wished to hide in a hole and stop feeling everything that overwhelmed me. I clung to the items I had brought from my country in an attempt to endure everything that this significant change was causing me. However, it was this very process that brought the most significant learning to my life. Chaos and crises demand action and oblige us to adapt in some way or another. It can be painful, overwhelming, and frustrating, but when we get out of it, makes us stronger individuals. We are enriched by the battles we fought and conquered, once again overcoming one of the most profound fears that several neurodivergent individuals face: change.

Sticking to a routine serves as a lifeline to alleviate some discomfort from our lives, but discomfort often leads to learning and growth. I’m not suggesting that we should all live in discomfort each day or merely endure whatever comes our way. What I mean is that when something is inevitable, we might approach the challenge with greater appreciation. Acknowledging that it won’t be easy but can significantly contribute to our personal growth. Embracing challenges permits us to dedicate 100% of our efforts to overcome them. On the other hand, when we resist the inevitable, our minds expend excessive energy fighting it, and the fear of confronting it becomes more overwhelming than the actual task itself.